Blue Hors Matiné dies in paddock accident

Blue Hors Matiné

Blue Hors Matiné

Top dressage mare Blue Hors Matiné has been put down following a paddock accident in which she broke her leg.

Blue Hors Matiné was retired from competition in 2009 but had not competed since before the 2007 World Cup final, where she was injured in an accident before the event.

Blue Hors stud said the mare was put down yesterday after breaking her offside foreleg at the knee.

“There was no doubt that Matiné’s right front leg was broken at the knee and the vet found immediately that there was absolutely nothing to do to save her life,” said Blue Hors stud director Esben Møller.

The 13-year-old Danish Warmblood mare was bred by Inger B. Katballe and was ridden by Andreas Helgstrand throughout her career. The pair won bronze in the grand prix special at the World Equestrian Games at Aachen in 2006, and an internet video of Matiné at the games (above) has been viewed 11.5 million times.

Matiné (Blue Hors Silver Moon/Matador), had been retired to stud at Blue Hors Stud, in Randbol, Denmark, and was in foal at the time of her death.

“It is with great sadness that Blue Hors has to say goodbye to this wonderful mare,” said Møller.

Andreas Helgstrand and Blue Hors Matiné during their silver-medal winning Kur performance at the 2006 World Equestrian Games in Aachen.

Under:

Horsetalk.co.nz

About the Author

Daily horse news and information - only on Horsetalk.co.nz! Got a story lead? Email info@horsetalk.co.nz

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Finola says:

Hollydene was also in foal, only 3 more months to go, when we lost her with a broken femur just over a year ago. My heart goes out to you.

2. Lara says:

Horses like this are once in a lifetime – but every horse holds a spot in our hearts. We too have had to make that decision with a broken bone, and nothing is more difficult – my heart goes out to you.

3. Bobi Becker says:

This news broke my heart, Blue Hors was the most beautiful of all Dressage horses that I have ever seen. I am sure that Andreas’es heart is still broken, she was one of a kind and they were an impeccable team…. May she RIP and I will forever keep this “team” in my heart……

• valerie sumner says:

Well she may be gone from Earth but she Free and beautiful still.lives on in the spirit world.I know this to be TRUE as I also have BEEN TO THE SPIRIT WORLD. Also seen many ghosts of people & animals here on this plane(Earth)

4. Saona Bailey says:

My heart goes out to you….

5. Norma Bezuidenhout says:

Having just witnesses the Freestyle event with this AMAZING horse on the website, and to be moved to tears of joy from the sheer beauty of it, I then discovered the SHATTERING news of her being put down. Why oh why to such a joyful looking, proud animal. Thoughts are with you Andreas. Kind regards Norma

6. Anthony c says:

What a shame. My heart breaks for all involved. So sorry. What a great team.

7. Judy Kaney says:

I watched this awesome pair just today for the first time and only just realized that she had succomb to a tragic accident and had to be put down. Tears are present as I write this. My heart goes out to the individuals who truly lost a beautiful, graceful, talented one of a kind equine. What a testiment to the admiration this horse portrayed in her life by still showing video of her 3 yrs after her passing. May God keep her safe and comfort her in his arms.