Six miniature horses slain in their stables

Six award-winning show-quality miniature horses near Adelaide, Australia, have had their throat cuts in their stables in an attack a senior police officer described as particularly brutal.

One of the six miniature horses killed in Australia.The two colts and four fillies, all about two years old, were found dead in their stalls around 8.30am on Saturday. Three other miniatures were spared by the offenders.

A reward of $A100,000 has been offered for information leading to a conviction over the attack.

Owner Julie Jackson was in tears as she spoke of the loss of her beloved animals.

Her son, Daniel Spong, said: “It would take an extremely sick individual, I would think, to carry this out.

“I certainly looks as thought it is a targeted attack, but obviously no idea as to why, or who was behind it.”

Terry Hocking, who works with the horses, was struggling to keep his emotions in check as he described the scene.

“I went straight to the first box, with a horse I love dearly, and his throat was slashed. I went down, and just kept finding one after another.”

mini-horses2Jackson, whose stud is located near Clayton Bay, between Finnis and Goolwa, is the daughter of Mt Gambier businessman and trucking tycoon Allan Scott, who left an estimated $A600 million estate when he died, aged 85, in October 2008.

The two staff members who found the horses were take to hospital to be treated for shock. It is understood Ms Jackson was shield from the scene.

Superintendent Rob Williams said the offence was particularly brutal and unlike anything he had ever seen.

“Unknown offenders came on to the property, came down to the stables and slaughtered six horses,” Williams said.

He told abc.net.au: “We are really asking for the community’s assistance in this crime – a particularly vicious crime on defenceless animals.

“Significant penalties [are] involved in these types of crimes, and we are asking for the community’s help to give us the information through Crime Stoppers. Any information will be of assistance.”

The offenders face up to 10 years in jail.

The animals were understood to be worth tens of thousands of dollars each.

mini-horses1Miniature horses, which stand under 86cm, are shown in halter, harness and performance classes, including trail and jumping.

South Australia police, in a press statement,  calling the killing of the horses a bizarre and cruel incident.

Hills Fleurieu Police are asking for anyone with information on the matter, including persons or vehicles seen in the Finniss-Clayton Road area, where the stud is located, to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

About the Author

Daily horse news and information - only on Horsetalk.co.nz! Got a story lead? Email info@horsetalk.co.nz

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. deliberatelydebbie says:

What a disgusting and most vile act against a defenceless creature! There is no reasoning to such barbaric cruelty…and no explanation worthy of our time or publicity. I only pray the monsters are caught and dealt with the same severity as their heinous crimes against these poor animals!

2. Melinda says:

This is really so sad to hear!
    My heart goes out to these people & their loss.
    I pray the sick guilty people will be found.
    For the sake of these animals and the pain they had during those moments.
    RIP you beautiful precious babies that was so fondly loved.
    Your family will miss you, untill you meet again.

God bless
    We are thinking of you all during this time.

3. Karen says:

As a horse owner I am appauled that there are such evil people out there exist that can do this to such trusting beautiful horses.

Catch them Australia and sentence to them everything they deserve and more!

4. Nadia Bell says:

RIP You darling little precious ponies . My heart is so broken and my mind so disturbed. What is with our mongers barbaric human race who are capable of such sinister behavior toward our helpless animals who love so unconditionally??!!! From the Chinese skinning their dogs alive to the insane cruelty these ponies endured in those dark hours, I could easily become a bounty hunter and inflict the most haborant torture upon such emotionless and spin less humans. . Just as the movie Law abiding citizens .. Do unto others as they have done to us !!! I just hope that we are updated when the mongers or mongers are bought down and I believe they will be !!! Good on you for putting up that hefty reward , money talks ! My condolences go out to their owners and carers , my heart is aching for you all ♡♡

5. Mandy Dowd - Qld says:

My heart goes out to the family. No words can describe the heartache they are feeling. It is such an unthinkable act and the offenders must be sick and disturbed. To take such action on a harmless animal is more than one can imagine. Truly it is a sad day to hear of such violence – This story just brought tears to my eyes – my thoughts and prayers our with the owners and carers. Let the horses run wild in heaven.

6. Helen Vyner says:

Whoever you are you will be caught!! When they do you lowlife heartless sick twisted parasites you will be dealt with by the law and when you are sitting in that prison I hope a plane flies over the prison and behind that will be your names….Then you will know what pain is just like you inflicted on these poor MINIATURE PONIES,how could you do such a barbaric act ? How could HUMAN BEINGS even stand the thought of injuring the little horses?? They ONLY Stand 87/89 cm high…You are not human you are Animals!!!. I am a great believer of Khama what goes around comes around.. Then you have to meet your maker. The Lord will deal with you.

7. kathy says:

there is a special place in hell waiting for people that to this kind of evil …….

8. Chris St.Cyr says:

Did they find the guy that did this??